Thursday 10 March 2011

Season 2 - Roadsport B begins this month!

After a very slow start to this year, we have finally heard from Caterham regarding the racing Regs and Calender. This means this seasons competitors can commit to booking test sessions and race entries.

My preparations started almost 6 months ago now with DPR Motorsport in Guildfiord being instructed to upgrade my car to the 2011 Roadsport B Specifications. Whilst I have driven the car on the road, I didn't really get a chance to test the car on the circuit in anger before the end of February.

It started at Snetterton where myself and Dave Rowe of DPR Motorsport attended a Book at Track day which upon arrival was cancelled. The following day we both set off to Silverstone where it rained after only two sessions and stayed wet for the rest of the day. The conditions were so bad that my VBox data logger got wet and broke down, resulting in a very expensive repair bill - not the best start to my season!

Last Saturday I tested at Oulton Park which........was also wet! I also had to hire a Racelogic VBox for the weekend, however Julian (MD) was very understanding of my problems and arranged for the unit to be couriered out to me overnight before I travelled early the following morning. On the Sunday, I attended the Caterham pre-season track day at Donnington, which resulted in the only dry season testing I've done since upgrading my car. Having spent so much time with David Rowe recently on and off the circuit I have learned a lot about the setup of the car and how to make adjustments with the variable conditions.

That said I do not feel that I have tested the car enough to find its full potential, however time will tell I guess.

The current numbers for the season are as high as 28 competitors and this looks like it could be a very challenging year, with some very fast and determined drivers.

My first test day, under test day conditions will be on Friday 25th March at Silverstone. I guess I will have to wait until then to see how competitive my car will be this year, fingers crossed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment