Tuesday 27 September 2011

Zandvoort July 9th and 10th

The whole Caterham series went to Zandvoort to race at the famous sand dune Circuit in Holland. Last used as a Formula 1 circuit in 1986, this track has always been on my wish list.

Having found a car game on my computer that allowed me to practise on the circuit beforehand, I entered the first test day with some knowledge of the very technical Circuit. My first laps confirmed that this really was a special place to go racing and would reward the brave and smoother drivers in the paddock.

Unfortunately many drivers were driving beyond their limits where a handful of competitors left before the racing started due to crashes and mechanical failures on the test days. This was a very expensive trip for them with no racing.

Qualifying

This went really well, I pushed very hard and qualified on Pole Position. This I knew would be a great advantage at the circuit but it would be almost impossible to lead from start to finish due to the long fast straights and overtaking opportunities. I would just have to drive hard and consistently to stay in contention.

Race 1

Great start again, got to the first corner still in the lead but I was in second by the end of the lap. Aaron Head was worthy of being in first position but I knew how I would take the position back. Kurt Brady also joined us in the race for first but lap after lap we managed to keep him behind us. Aaron is the great last braker but I had better drive out of the corners which enabled me to pass him on the inside of one of the fastest corner in the circuit. Two Laps before the end I got the lead and blocked him to take the chequered flag. Aaron Head finished 2nd with Kurt Brady 3rd.
Race 2

Pole again from the results of race 2. A very similar story to race one, however I wasn’t going to let Aaron pass me again before the end of the first Lap. Kurt followed again with John Toshak following closely in 4th. Aaron took the lead and we passed regularly over the coming laps. On the last lap I let Aaron go around me at the last chicane, knowing that it is best to be following into the last corner. I planned to get a draft from his car and over take him from second before the line knowing that this had been possible on the previous laps through getting a tow. This was going perfectly to plan, until I missed 5th gear and selected 3rd instead as I was passing Aaron. This then let Kurt close the gap behind but I managed to keep 2nd place across the line keeping Kurt in 3rd.

Overall I was very happy with my results. My first European race and I got a 1st and 2nd, however I felt that my mistake gifted Aaron the win.

Next race Oulton Park – England

No comments:

Post a Comment